Zoroastrianism... from creation to the creator

Theology & Religion forum.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:27 pm

Source: Afternoon Dispatch & Courier, India

Thursday, August 18, 2005 12:0:40 IST

Spiritual consciousness is present everywhere in the universe, manifested best in nature.

ImageSpiritual consciousness is present everywhere in the universe, manifested best in nature. Those who study Mother Nature with the aid of five senses are men of science who rely on sense-knowledge. Those who reflect, ponder and meditate on her are thinkers, savants and philosophers who rely on mind-knowledge. But those who in all humility, reverence and humbleness allow nature to radiate her light, life and love on their own being are mystics who rely on soul-knowledge.For a Zoroastrian, God is the divine architect who has designed, built, sculpted and painted his sublime spirituality in nature, which speaks to us, sings to us, inspires and elevates us. A Parsi need not pray "only" in a fire-temple. Nature, in all her beauty and grandeur is also his temple of worship. The glorious sun, the resplendent moon, towering mountains, vast oceans, meandering rivers, trees, flowers, clouds, all of Nature's five elements represent the great Divine Architect and there are prayers dedicated to these creations. On this unique Parsi form of worship (from Nature to Nature's God), the American steel-magnate and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie has written a beautiful passage as follows:

"This evening, we were surprised to see, as we strolled along the beach, more Parsis than ever before, and more Parsi ladies, richly dressed, winding their way towards the sea. It was the first of the new-moon, a period scared to these worshippers of the elements and here, on the sea shore, as the Sun was sinking into the sea, and the slender slice of the crescent moon was visible, they congregated to perform their religious rites.Fire was present in the form of the setting Sun and water in the vast expanse of the Indian Ocean outstretched before them. The Earth was under their feet while the air wafted with salty-perfume. Surely, no time or place could be more fitly chosen than this to lift up the soul to realms beyond the senses. I have seen many forms of worship, but all pale in comparison to this. Nor do I ever expect in all my life to witness a religious ceremony which will so powerfully affect me as that of the Parsi on the beach at Bombay.

"Samul Laing adds:"I say Amen with all my heart to Andrew Carnegie, for here is an ideal religious ceremony combining all that is most true, most touching and most sublime on the attitude of man towards the great unknown."Whenever we are overwhelmed by Nature's beauty, we automatically exclaim, "Oh God! How beautiful!" This exclamation itself becomes a prayer to God. Religion and spirituality do not lie 'only' in the higher realms of prayers and meditation (though they certainly help) but in the lap of Mother Nature. If you have been to remote places (not tourist-spots) in South Africa and New Zealand, even if you are slightly psychic, you will pick up heavy, positive, throbbing vibrations and see "auras" around trees, flowers and mountains.
It is a cardinal sin for a Zoroastrian to defile any of Nature's elements. The oldest religion in the world was also ecologically-conscious.Nature holds us all spellbound in the hollow of her beautiful hands. She reminds us of our "Divine Source" to which we owe our very life and being. If only you can spend a few immortal moments each day with her, out of the fleeting hours of life, you'll become aware that you haven't lived in vain. Drop everything else in life... connect with Mom Nature!

Ruby Lilaowala is a well-known columnist and writer.

Postby arterial » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:13 pm

arterial

Return to Theology & Religion