The first presence of the Iranians in Western Europe

History & Chronology forum.

Moderator: Moderator Team

The first presence of the Iranians in Western Europe

Postby Iradj » Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:15 pm

The influence of the Iranian culture in Western Europe is attested by innumerable traces that the presence of Iranians in Andalusia left. That being, it is difficult to believe that before the conquest of Spain by the Arabs, the Iranians did not trade with the Iberian or the Francs. Indeed, as of the time of Khosrow Parviz, North Africa was under the Persian domination, a domination which lasted a long time after the fall of the Sassanide empire, since this area was the refuge of a great number of Iranians who have flees the Moslems.

When one knows the short distance which the Mediterranean separates Africa from Europe, in particular on the level of the Straits of Gibraltar, one would be astonished that no contact is established between Persians expatriates and Europeans of the west.

I am firmly convinced that Iranians were present at the Francs as of the 6th century. I thus invite all the people interested by this subject to take part in this forum in order to organise a debate which will perhaps make it possible to better join together disparate indices, lighting us on this ignored aspect of the history of Iran.
Iradj

Re: The first presence of the Iranians in Western Europe

Postby Stephen Van Der Wall » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:01 pm

Iradj wrote:[...] it is difficult to believe that before the conquest of Spain by the Arabs, the Iranians did not trade with the Iberian or the Francs. [...]

If there were trade between Persians and West Europeans, we would have of them traces by the intermediary of sasanid coins. However to my knowledge, no coin of this kind was found in Spain nor in France.
Stephen Van Der Wall

This is absurd !

Postby Rudolph Steinke » Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:55 pm

:? Iranians seek everywhere traces of their civilisation by thinking that it represented something of so important that the whole world was influenced by it. This topic of forum is all the more absurd as to today nobody did have the idea to think of it.

The presence of Persians in North Africa was very short and was finally smashed by the Byzantines. I do not see how they could have gone in this lapse of time to Western Europe. In any event, no text nor archaeological element comes in support of this eccentric idea.
Rudolph Steinke

Re: This is absurd !

Postby Iradj » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:13 pm

Rudolph Steinke wrote:Iranians seek everywhere traces of their civilisation by thinking that it represented something of so important...

To think that the Iranian civilisation is important or not is not the subject of my topic of forum and I will not enter in discussions of this kind which recall more football matches than scientific debates.

About the nonsense of my idea, it should be said that it is precisely because nobody thought it until today that I expose it to the opinion of the fravahr.org community.

It is false to say that Iranians remained not enough time in North Africa. Actually, Heraclius did not drive out them from there and they remained there a long time after the fall of Ctesiphone.
Iradj

The first presenced of the Iranians in Western Europe...

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:17 pm

Iradj wrote:After the fall of the Sassanide empire, since this area was the refuge of a great number of Iranians who have flees the Moslems.

When one knows the short distance which the Mediterranean separates Africa from Europe, in particular on the level of the Straits of Gibraltar, one would be astonished that no contact is established between Persians expatriates and Europeans of the west.

I am firmly convinced that Iranians were present at the Francs as of the 6th century. I thus invite all the people interested by this subject to take part in this forum in order to organise a debate which will perhaps make it possible to better join together disparate indices, lighting us on this ignored aspect of the history of Iran.

Sure there are Sassanians in Western Europe they went North West.

The first presence of the Iranians in Western europe.

Postby Manyhorse » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:27 am

I went to Spain last month. In many old towns your are remains of Fravahr representations and on old castles the base of Fire Tempels or funeral towers.
Manyhorse

Return to History & Chronology